Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
By Lori Lyons
In his first season as Hahnville’s head softball...
A $100,000 grant from Shell-Motiva’s Norco Economic Development Foundation (NEDF)...
Although 29th District Court Judge Timothy Marcel ruled against Tim Mayeaux’s...
Word came a week before the Louisiana Catfish Festival that Chef Jeff and his film...
A multi-million-dollar expansion planned at Quixote Studios in St. Rose is on hold...
New York Life gives you the path to financial security of life time protection and value of life insurance, annuities, retirement plans and other financial planning. Let us help you achieve the financial goal of lifetime income!
Star Tulane quarterback takes reins of HHS offense - 3327 views
By Lori Lyons
For a while there, folks might have needed a tracking map to keep tabs on Lester Ricard.