Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Call it awesome, a great cause or an amazing achievement from everyone pulling...
Towering 150 feet over the Mississippi River, the 32-year-old Hale Boggs Memorial...
Destrehan could have had a letdown game coming off of its rivalry win over...
All schools deal with the issue of bullying. St. Rose Elementary School is taking...
Week 5 at St. Thomas More always promised to be one of the most challenging games...
Entergy Louisiana Inc. continued to rank as St. Charles Parish’s largest company...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
United Way of St. Charles' Battle for the Paddle may draw record crowd - 1053 views
Expected to draw more than 8,000 people, the 14th annual Battle for the Paddle Cook-off will again serve up a tasty competition with more than 100 teams vying as United Way of St. Charles’ gumbo and jambalaya champions.