Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A Norco man has been arrested and charged with one count of pornography involving...
The United Way of St. Charles’ Bridge Run can expect some new faces this year, but...
Hit by what Victoria Bryant called “the double whammy” – declining revenue and...
A truck driver was arrested and charged with a DWI after crashing into three cars...
It seems a little bit of St. Charles Parish culture could end up on TV this year....
Under threat of seeking another attorney general’s opinion on how to recoup...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Cashio’s Food Villa has new name, owner - 2843 views
Marked by an impressive historical mural telling St. Charles Parish’s history, Cashio Food Villa is now part of Destrehan’s story, too.