Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
As a longtime educator in the St. Charles Parish School system and school board...
Just before shovels sunk into the ground Friday for Monsanto's near $1 billion...
Destrehan offensive tackle Dakota Torbert proudly wore a hat adorned with the logo...
With ground broken and ribbons cut for nearly $2 billion in industrial investments...
The worker missing after the Phillips 66 pipeline explosion in Paradis last...
In the face of devastating news, Luling's Julia Dubret, 50, plans to fight. ...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Signing Day: Seven St. Charles athletes ink to play at next level - 3158 views
Destrehan offensive tackle Dakota Torbert proudly wore a hat adorned with the logo of the University of Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks and said his new reality was finally starting to sink in: Torbert was headed to play Division I football.