Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
A blaze last Thursday on River Oaks Drive in Destrehan has displaced a mother and...
A 54-year-old Destrehan man was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of...
St. Charles Parish residents might see a familiar face while tuning in to...
The falling price of oil has resulted in low prices at the pump—in some cases, less...
Luling shift firefighter Joseph Riebow, 39, who’s fight against leukemia was...
Two teens are accused of following a delivery truck through Luling in order to...
Southwest Funding, LP Branch #920 (NMLS 32139) is your local mortgage company caring about your personal mortgage needs for all purchasing, refinancing, and reverse mortgages. All credit and employment considered.
New Sarpy heroin dealer sentenced to 2 years in jail - 1376 views
A New Sarpy man was sentenced in federal court to two years in prison and three years of supervised released after being convicted of heroin distribution.