Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Employees of Home Depot, along with members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post...
Steve Todd may have been the last participant in Saturday’s Bridge Run to cross the...
Nearly five months after 23-year-old Ramal Ellis was found shot to death behind the...
Around 50 children and their parents shuffled in through the doorway at the...
A man who is believed to have attempted to kidnap a 17-year-old girl from a Boutte...
A suspect in the December 2012 murder of Norco resident Jay Bertucci was...
Commercial refrigeration, A/C, Heating, Industrial Refrigeration and A/C, Emergency Generators and service, Building Entergy conservation services, Solar power systems, Heat pump specialist. All brands serviced and installed
Hurst students dig science - 712 views
As part of a unit on a decomposer’s role in creating soil, students took a closer look at earthworms.