Speak with Authority
New Herald-Guide vocabulary builder improves your 'word-ability'
Just read the vocabulary words below and choose the correct definition from the three choices that we give you. Watch out - two are completely bogus. Only one is accurate and the definition is taken directly from Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary.
Check your answers at the end of column. If you get five or more right, congratulations - that's a superior score. Anything less, well, sorry: You need to dust off the old dictionary and get to work.
Ready? Let's go!
1. Dearth (noun): a) Old English word for “death”; b) a funeral procession; c) scarcity.
2. Decorum (noun): a) Latin word for “decoration”; b) the art of interior decorating; c) conformity to accepted standards of conduct.
3. Decry (verb): a) to express strong disapproval; b) the act of turning tears to laughter; c) to divert attention away from someone or something.
4. Hurdy-Gurdy (noun): a) a lewd dance, i.e.: hoot chi coot chi; b) a 19th century medicine show; c) a musical instrument in which sounds are produced by turning a crank.
5. Infidel (noun): a) a revolutionary; b) a non-Christian; c) an illegal or unregistered immigrant.
6. Inflame (verb): a) the act of dousing a fire; b) technical term for rocket exhaust that reverses direction at high altitude; c) to excite to excessive, uncontrollable action or feeling.
7. Redundant (adjective): a) a boring speech or dissertation; b) exceeding what is needed or normal; c) excessive use of unnecessarily big or fancy words.
Challenge yourself weekly and before long, you'll be speaking more fluently, making more sense - and understanding more.
For this week’s answers, turn page upside down and read the legend below.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Hahnville quarterback Mike Neal scrambled, desperately buying time as the halftime...
Larry Cochran, D-St. Rose, took the lead and kept it for a win as St. Charles...
St. Charles Parish’s share of the BP and Transocean settlements from the Deep Water...
A New Orleans man has been reported dead from an apparent gunshot wound to the head...
St. Charles Parish’s heroin overdoses could reach four with confirmation of the...
The pit bull thrown from I-310 into the swamp beneath in early October has found a...
Today's Car Care is the name people trust when it comes to outstanding tires and automotive service in the River Region and beyond.
St. Charles students build bridges and careers - 525 views
Even after the students had worked their best theory and calculations for the Satellite Center’s engineering design competition, teacher Carlos Mayoral said many of them were still surprised over how well their bridges worked.