... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail email@example.com and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Luling’s Kelly Robbins was often told her daughter, Kylar, wouldn’t be able to...
An attempted traffic stop by Louisiana State Police on I-310 turned into a police...
Those who volunteer with the St. Charles United Methodist Church Food Pantry in...
With road upgrade work on the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge to begin Sunday, St....
With a little help from the weather, the Krewe of Des Allemands will roll at 1 p.m....
While the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge will not be available for the United Way of...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Norco man gets 10 years for drug dealing - 4004 views
A 17-year-old Norco male who was arrested in September for allegedly illegally discharging a firearm and causing aggravated criminal damage to property was sentenced last week to 10 years in prison.