... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Announcement of St. Charles Parish's first major subdivision in more than eight...
The Benefit Golf Tournament for Chad Grosch will take place Saturday, Aug. 20 at...
Under the banner of the ES&H Wildcats, Destrehan's baseball team returned to...
Hahnville High School-based Otto Candies is headed to the American Legion state...
Hahnville High School-based Otto Candies has made state tournament runs before...
Without a tax increase, St. Charles Parish Council could be dealing with a...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
State Trooper's Destrehan home burglarized - 9554 views
The home of a Louisiana State Trooper and Destrehan resident was burglarized Tuesday night and the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office is seeking information about the incident.