... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, Magnolia Companies in St. Rose has a...
All schools deal with the issue of bullying. St. Rose Elementary School is taking...
Week 5 at St. Thomas More always promised to be one of the most challenging games...
Entergy Louisiana Inc. continued to rank as St. Charles Parish’s largest company...
Ama resident Glenn Singleton smiled as he fondly called being in attendance at the...
Destrehan could have had a letdown game coming off of its rivalry win over...
Today's Car Care is the name people trust when it comes to outstanding tires and automotive service in the River Region and beyond.
Ribbon cut on St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office $6.6 million state-of-the-art training, media complex - 840 views
St. Charles Parish Sheriff Greg Champagne cut the ribbon Tuesday on a $6.6 million, 35,000 square-foot complex at 220 Judge Edward A. Dufresne Parkway in Luling.