... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Former Hahnville High School quarterback Easton Melancon is now a gold medal winner....
Councilman Paul Hogan wants to have a third party look into the management and...
The Krewe of Zeus will resubmit an application to parade through Ormond Boulevard...
East Bank residents in the communities of Destrehan and New Sarpy will see a...
The historic St. Rose Tavern is preparing to reopen in New Sarpy after the family...
Montz residents Pamela and Chris Valentine had only been married for four years...
Andrews Remodeling has over 25 years of experience in home remodeling, repair and additions. No job is too big or too small. We guarantee all of our work and believe the job is not complete until the customer is satisfied.
Fire chief involved in fatal crash finally returns home - 829 views
Former Hahnville Volunteer Fire Department Chief Arthur Tregre has returned home after being hospitalized since last August following a head-on collision with St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Deputy Jeff Watson, who died in the accident.