... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail email@example.com and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Pastor Don Logan, of Boutte, was coming back from a meeting in Alexandria when the...
Two of Luling’s newest firefighters weren’t even done with their basic training...
Rather than rely on “hopes and prayers” to find funding for the West Bank hurricane...
Beginning April 1, St. Charles Parish Hospital will ban smoking throughout the...
Like just about every high school sports team, the Destrehan girls basketball team...
Local union workers at Shell and Motiva refineries in Norco went on strike after...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Packing the House - 826 views
Romania is a long way from Lakewood Elementary, but the roaring crowd in the school gymnasium seems no less enthusiastic than crown Princess Margareta.