... celebrating SC Parish’s 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Pertuis. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
1. On Monday, Nov. 11, 1912, Montz was the center of national attention after 14 people died in a train accident caused by fog.
2. The PTA had its beginnings in the 1920s and looked after schools and also established cafeterias where free milk and lunches were provided to the needy.
3. Pan-American Pertroleum Corporation of Destrehan was hit hard during the Great Depression and started searching for machines to replace workers to cut costs.
4. In 1941 the St. Charles Herald's motto was "To meet the needs of industrial and agricultural St. Charles."
5. The Herald’s competition in the early 1900's was the west bank's Paradis Enterprise Weekly and the Paradis Times Hustler, and the east bank's The St. Charles News and The River Parishes Journal.
6. Everyone in the region came to St. Charles Parish in the 1920s to see the Locke Breaux Oak - the world's largest oak tree of its time. It stood 75 feet high, spread over 166 feet and had a 35-foot circumference.
7. In 1909 the first history book on St. Charles Parish was published. John Hanno Deiler wrote The Settlement of the German Coast of Louisiana and the Creoles of German Descent.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The goal is to put a duck call (pink or camo) and a fishing pole – anything that’s...
Area residents will get to comment on a proposed I-310 flyover ramp aimed at easing...
At age 12, Terry Gaulter’s “eyes opened to the world” when she laid hands on a...
Hahnville will have a new look on offense this season, and second year Tigers’...
A $70,000 handicap van and Comfee seat recently donated by Chive Charities came as...
John Paul Devillier, who initially plead innocent, has changed his plea to not...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
Proposed lake raised ire of residents - 1374 views
Bayou Gauche area residents bombarded the St. Charles Parish Planning Commission with questions about a North Carolina landowner’s permit request to extract minerals on land in the area and turn the hole into a lake for a future residential development.