Krewe of Zeus withdraws permit to parade in Ormond


July 22, 2014 at 3:26 pm  | Mobile Reader | Pring this storyPrint 

Krewe of Zeus withdraws permit to parade in Ormond
The Krewe of Zeus has withdrawn a permit application that would have allowed the organization to parade through Ormond Subdivision in Destrehan.

The planned parade had caused heated debate between those who live on Ormond Boulevard who were against the parade and others in the parish who supported it.

St. Charles Parish Sheriff Greg Champagne would have had to approve the permit before Zeus could roll. The Krewe of Zeus withdrew their permit application a day after meeting with  parish officials.

The proposed route would have taken the Krewe of Zeus from Ormond Plantation on River Road west to Ormond Boulevard. The parade would have then traveled northbound on Ormond Boulevard to Greenwood Drive before turning around and retracing the route.

According to the permit application, Zeus wanted to hold a nighttime Mardi Gras parade in Ormond on Feb. 7 from 6:20 p.m. until 11 p.m. The parade would have included 300 riders, floats, horses, 100 vehicles, bands, support groups, dune buggies and fire trucks.

Zeus had rolled through the streets of Metairie since 1957, but applied for the Ormond permit last week.

Councilwoman Wendy Bendetto said officials were concerned with the route through Ormond Boulevard.

A portion of the route would have traveled over a railroad track, which could have caused delays during the parade if a train passed through. Benedetto said a portion of Ormond Boulevard is also set to undergo road work sometime in the future.

“What if my roads are being paved at that time? I can’t put off a project because of a parade,” Benedetto said.

However, Bendetto did feel like a parade would be good for businesses in the area, but it all depended on what the residents in Ormond wanted.

“I heard from some that were for it and some who were against it because they moved out (to Ormond) to avoid all that,” Bendetto said.

Nicole Oubre, who lives in Ormond, said she believes the event would have caused destruction to private property.

“This is a neighborhood, not a busy city,” she said. “Those are houses on Ormond, not businesses.”

Jackie Taylor agreed, saying that people chose to live in Ormond knowing that they would go elsewhere for parades and the chaos that ensues.

“There isn’t room to stand safely without invading people’s yards. There is no place for parking cars as well,” she said.

Michelle Simon was concerned about damage to her yard and litter left behind by parade goers.

“I think a parade such as this is a bad idea in a subdivision,” she said.

While many were against the idea, several residents who live in Ormond were excited about the prospect of a parade rolling near their homes.

“I would love for a parade to come for me and my children and grandchildren,” Cindy Dempster said. “And yes, I’ve lived in Ormond for years and wouldn’t have been prude enough to stop it.”

Krystal Coates agreed.

“I live in Ormond and don’t see a problem with it,” she said. “I love Mardi Gras. It would be nice to have something here.”




View other articles written Jonathan Menard

featured merchant

Patella Dental - Joshua C. Patella, DDS
Patella Dental - Joshua C. Patella, DDS When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel

Suspect in St. Charles Parish deputy shooting pleads not guilty by insanity
Suspect in St. Charles Parish deputy shooting pleads not guilty by insanity
- 1678 views
John Paul Devillier, who initially plead innocent, has changed his plea to not guilty by reason of insanity in the April 16 shooting of St. Charles Parish deputy Cpl. Burt Hazeltine.

Become A Herald-Guide Insider

Get breaking news, sports and lifestyles straight to your inbox