Luling man sentenced to 35 years for molesting daughter
The 11-year-old told authorities that her father came into her room and groped her several times. The child told police that her father said he would kill her if she ever told anyone about what had happened.
The father, whose name is being withheld to protect the identity of the victim, was sentenced to 25 years in jail for molestation. He will not have the benefit of probation, parole or a suspension of his sentence.
Judge Emile St. Pierre also sentenced the man to 10 years in jail for attempted indecent behavior, but the two sentences will run concurrent with one another.
The man will have to register as a sex offender when he is released from prison.
The St. Charles Parish District Attorney’s Office, who successfully prosecuted the case, found the situation to be particularly troubling given that the man had been convicted of molesting the same child before. After being convicted the first time, the father was given a plea deal that required him to register as a sex offender and banned him from having contact with his daughter.
However, the plea was later overturned in 2010.
Before the man’s recent sentencing, his family members wrote letters to the court asking St. Pierre to hand down a lenient sentence.
“We didn’t do a good job portraying my brother to the jury because if they knew him they’d know that he was not capable of the accusation,” the man’s brother wrote. “I am greatly angered that when a man has the possibility of going to jail for his remaining years, the justice department bases their entire case of evidence on the word of a child who is going through a very confusing time.”
The perpetrator’s mother said that his children were his life.
“He has done nothing to deserve the punishment he is receiving,” she wrote to St. Pierre.
The man is currently appealing his sentence after a motion to reduce it was denied by the court. His case will now move to the Louisiana 5th Circuit Court of Appeals.
Destrehan High School alumnus Will Sirmon IV appeared to have missed his chance to...
The worker missing after the Phillips 66 pipeline explosion in Paradis last...
After riding in the Krewe of Des Allemands parade, Vernon Higgins decided it was...
For the 62nd year, the Krewe of Des Allemands is set to roll Sunday (Feb. 26)...
As a longtime educator in the St. Charles Parish School system and school board...
With ground broken and ribbons cut for nearly $2 billion in industrial investments...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Monsanto breaks ground on $1B plant upgrade in Luling - 3382 views
Just before shovels sunk into the ground Friday for Monsanto's near $1 billion plant upgrade in Luling, Plant Manager Enrique Wehlen welcomed everyone to celebrate the chemical giant's largest single investment in its history.