Parish celebrates its 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Breaux. E-mail and we'll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
Here are this week’s:
1. By 1900 Democrats began wrestling power from Republicans, and during the 1928 election, the parish was divided into two political parties - the so-called “New Regulars” and the “Old Regulars” - nd the St. Charles Herald published many of their heated debates.
2. Two powerhouse brothers, Leon C. Vial, Sr. and Richard J. Vial Sr., emerged during this time of political debate and dominated St. Charles Parish politics until the 1960’s. Leon eventually became sheriff and Richard served on the school board for nearly 40 years.
3. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.
4. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against flies and mosquitoes.
5. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.
6. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.
7. The parish’s first chapter of the American Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.
John J. Landry III's future as chairman of the St. Charles Parish Hospital Board is...
When word came that Nathan Leathers had won the Spirit of the Wildcat Award from...
Randy Breaux Jr. loves his job, and it shows in his work ethic and eagerness to...
For a quarter century, St. Charles Parish has celebrated Independence Day with the...
A Destrehan man was charged with attempted second-degree murder after opening fire...
Jeremy Eusea, Hahnville High School athletic trainer and teacher accused of sexual...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Special needs couple overcome 14 years of obstacles to wed - 29647 views
Craig Blackburn and Heather Hancock have had myriad obstacles and a lot of distance to overcome to make their relationship work. Despite that, in so many ways, the couple couldn't be closer.