Parish celebrates its 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Breaux. E-mail and we'll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
Here are this week’s:
1. By 1900 Democrats began wrestling power from Republicans, and during the 1928 election, the parish was divided into two political parties - the so-called “New Regulars” and the “Old Regulars” - nd the St. Charles Herald published many of their heated debates.
2. Two powerhouse brothers, Leon C. Vial, Sr. and Richard J. Vial Sr., emerged during this time of political debate and dominated St. Charles Parish politics until the 1960’s. Leon eventually became sheriff and Richard served on the school board for nearly 40 years.
3. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.
4. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against flies and mosquitoes.
5. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.
6. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.
7. The parish’s first chapter of the American Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Luling shift firefighter Joseph Riebow, 39, who’s fight against leukemia was...
St. Charles Parish residents might see a familiar face while tuning in to...
The St. Charles Parish School Board will ask residents to approve up to $42 million...
Originally opened in 2005, the Satellite Center will celebrate 10 years at a...
Three people have been arrested in connection with the theft of thousands of...
Four teens were arrested in connection with 15 auto burglaries that occurred last...
Says Dr. Thorson, “We recommend that a child’s first visit be when the first tooth comes in, so we can set the stage for oral health through proper nutrition and hygiene.” Dr. Thorson is on call 24 hours a day. Her office is now open and taking appoint
30,000 in state could lose jobs due to low oil prices - 2552 views
Low oil prices could lead to the loss of 30,000 jobs throughout Louisiana, according to estimates from researchers at the Dallas Federal Reserve and the University of Nevada in Las Vegas. The impact, however, likely won’t be felt as hard in St. Charles Parish as in other parts of the state.