Parish celebrates its 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Breaux. E-mail and we'll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
Here are this week’s:
1. By 1900 Democrats began wrestling power from Republicans, and during the 1928 election, the parish was divided into two political parties - the so-called “New Regulars” and the “Old Regulars” - nd the St. Charles Herald published many of their heated debates.
2. Two powerhouse brothers, Leon C. Vial, Sr. and Richard J. Vial Sr., emerged during this time of political debate and dominated St. Charles Parish politics until the 1960’s. Leon eventually became sheriff and Richard served on the school board for nearly 40 years.
3. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.
4. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against flies and mosquitoes.
5. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.
6. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.
7. The parish’s first chapter of the American Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.
Considering the kind of year 2016 has been for St. Charles Parish Sheriff's...
"I am no longer keeping your secrets. I am no longer going to be one of your...
Diagnosed with a brain tumor at age 7, Kacey Marse knows how important the family...
ITT Technical Institute's closing had student Zina Richards calling the VA suicide...
St. Charles Parish police are seeking the public’s help in locating a man charged...
With a roller coaster ride of a game tied at 28 with 10 seconds left, and the eyes...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Humane Society Pet of the Week: Ava - 618 views
This week’s St. Charles Humane Society’s showcase pet is Ava the dog.