Parish celebrates its 200th birthday
You can be a Herald-Guide Bicentennial supermodel like Amanda Breaux. E-mail and we'll arrange to make you famous, too. New model each week.
Here are this week’s:
1. By 1900 Democrats began wrestling power from Republicans, and during the 1928 election, the parish was divided into two political parties - the so-called “New Regulars” and the “Old Regulars” - nd the St. Charles Herald published many of their heated debates.
2. Two powerhouse brothers, Leon C. Vial, Sr. and Richard J. Vial Sr., emerged during this time of political debate and dominated St. Charles Parish politics until the 1960’s. Leon eventually became sheriff and Richard served on the school board for nearly 40 years.
3. One of three St. Charles Parish middle schools was named after the man who was the parish’s clerk of court in 1900 - J.B. Martin.
4. In 1917, the St. Charles Herald printed its first “piece” of school news on the Moberly School - which was little more than a screened building that protected against flies and mosquitoes.
5. In the early 1900’s the parish’s 74 teachers, all of whom were white, made an average salary of $836 a year.
6. In 1920 the first Bank of St. Charles opened, followed by the Bank of St. Rose which would eventually become St. Charles Bank and Trust.
7. The parish’s first chapter of the American Red Cross was formed on Jan. 4, 1928 and within a year, the total membership reached a respectable 1,000.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The woman found stabbed to death Wednesday morning in Destrehan has been identified...
Montz residents Pamela and Chris Valentine had only been married for four years...
East Bank residents in the communities of Destrehan and New Sarpy will see a...
One of TV’s biggest shows, “American Horror Story,” recently wrapped up a two-week...
A woman was found stabbed to death in her Destrehan home and her mother, who walked...
A drill that mimics a school shooting – complete with students covered in fake...
Grumpy's is serving up your all time favorites in St Charles Parish, from Seafood to Shakes. Dine in or call ahead and pick up your order to-go, phone orders welcome!
Woman stabbed to death in Destrehan, her mother rushed to hospital - 25903 views
A woman was found stabbed to death in her Destrehan home Wednesday morning and her mother, who walked in on the attack, was rushed to the hospital with what appears to be stab wounds.