Luling man convicted of rape after falling asleep in victim’s home
Ricky Bruce, 39, of 111 Warren Drive, is accused of breaking down his ex-girlfriend’s front door in 2011 and raping her twice before falling asleep in her home. The victim told police that she had convinced Bruce to get some rest after she was raped by telling him she would go to the store and buy him cigarettes. Instead, she made her way to a neighbor’s home and called police.
“When we arrived, Bruce was still sleeping and we were able to apprehend him without further incident,” Dwayne LaGrange, a spokesman with the St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office, said.
A detective who arrived at the scene found the front door frame damaged and noticed that the door’s security chain had been pulled off the wall. A lamp was lying on the floor and the contents of the victim’s purse were scattered on a table near the kitchen.
The victim also had bruises on her chest and thigh, according to the arrest report.
Bruce admitted to forcing his way into the home and pushing the victim, but told police that the sex was consensual.
According to the state Attorney General’s Office, Bruce said he took bath salts, a designer drug, several hours before breaking into the home.
Bruce was convicted of aggravated rape and aggravated burglary on Thursday, Jan. 16 after two hours of deliberation by the jury. He will be sentenced by St. Charles Parish District Judge Emile St. Pierre on April 1.Bruce faces a mandatory sentence of life imprisonment without the benefit of probation, parole or suspension of sentence.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
For nearly two years, Lamar and Ruthell Ellis have mourned the loss of their son,...
Imagine belonging to an online chat room on Skype with friends haunted by a...
When a couple inquired about getting a same-sex marriage license on Friday, June...
Many young girls receive gifts like jewelry for their first communion, but Madison...
Eight-year-old Grant Rechen has defied the odds his entire life. ...
When Derwin and Valerie Wilright’s young son became obsessed with the movie, “The...
At Saia Auto Consultants, our ultimate goal is to get you the highest quality vehicle for your money.
Former DHS QB ruled ineligible for 2015 season - 1778 views
Former Destrehan quarterback Marquise Darensbourg transferred to East St. John in February but was recently ruled ineligible to play for the 2015-16 season by the Louisiana High School Athletic Association.