Miracle baby, mother survive despite emergency colon surgery

November 15, 2013 at 9:17 am  | Mobile Reader | Pring this storyPrint 

Lindsey Albarado, Todd Albarado and daughter Mckinney pose for a picture with the newest member of their family, Ryder.
Lindsey Albarado, Todd Albarado and daughter Mckinney pose for a picture with the newest member of their family, Ryder.
Lindsey Albarado was 25 weeks pregnant and in the hospital when the unthinkable happened.

The Luling native had been sick with ulcerative colitis prior to her pregnancy and had a recent reoccurrence of the disease before being hospitalized with a high fever.

“I was running a fever and I was pregnant and my temperature was 101. My doctor told me to just go into the emergency room and they may need to give me fluids or whatnot,” she said.

With a rapid heart rate and low blood pressure, she was taken to the intensive care unit where she could be more closely observed.

Her husband happened to be working at the time, but her mother, Valerie Parker, made the trip to the hospital with her. Parker was out fetching a snack for Albarado when things took a turn for the worse. †

“I got this severe, excruciating pain in my stomach and I was screaming. I was doubled over on the bed screaming for anyone to come and help me,” Albarado said.

After sending her through a battery of tests, doctors found that Albarado’s colon had ruptured in two places and she would have to undergo emergency surgery to remove her large intestine and colon. If she didn’t have the surgery, doctors were worried that she would die in† a matter of hours.

“I was septic. I would have died from that if it didn’t get taken care of,” she said. “The big problem is that I was almost 25 weeks pregnant, so I was in surgery within two hours.”

The problem that necessitated the surgery is extremely uncommon.

“There have only been about 57 cases that they have known about this happening since 2005 or something like that. It is a very, very rare occurrence,” Albarado said.

Given that she and the baby were both septic at the time of the surgery, the doctors were worried about their survival. “The doctor told my mom that they could lose both of us,” Albarado said.

The doctors hoped to keep Albarado from going into labor during the surgery and her obstetrician was in the room just in case labor did occur.

Luckily, Albarado got through the surgery without any major complications and without going into labor.

“They kind of knew that I would have to deliver the baby, but they were just trying to let him stay in there as long a possible because every day was important that he was in there,” she said.

Four days after the surgery, her water broke and she went into labor. Everything happened so quickly that the medical staff did not have enough time to get her into a labor room and she had to deliver the child in the inpatient bed.

“The OR nurses were ready to roll and get the bed into the operating room and my doctor said, ‘No way, she is going to deliver right here,’” Albarado said.

The risk of complications in giving birth were looming after undergoing such an invasive surgery earlier in the week, and the baby’s health was particularly at stake being born 15 weeks early.

But everything went perfectly during labor and the baby was immediately placed in an incubator.

Then came a surprise. Albarado and her family had just recently had a reveal party where her baby was shown to be a girl and they had been thinking of names. †

“After (my doctor) went to check on the baby he asked me, ‘what name did you have picked out for this kid?’ I said Myla because that was the only name that we were kicking around at the time. He said that it would be a strange name for a boy,” Albarado said.

Albarado and her family were surprised by the turn of events.

“We didn’t have a name for a few days because we didn’t have any boy names,” she said.

The family settled on the name Ryder. So far, Ryder is doing well.

“He doesn’t have any major issues,” Albarado said. Now, seven weeks later, Ryder is still in the hospital and Albarado has been recuperating at home with her 4-year-old daughter.

Although he was only one pound, 12 ounces and very premature when he was born, Ryder is around 3 pounds now and seems to be progressing.

“His biggest issue is his lungs and that is just something that takes time. Typically the lungs don’t develop until the last two weeks of your pregnancy. We are seeing improvement,” Albarado said.

Now the family is just waiting for Ryder to come home, which they expect to happen around New Year’s Day.

In the meantime, Albarado’s† husband and her mother have been spending time with Ryder on a near daily basis as Albarado has been going through therapy. She expects to join them as soon as she can.

She said getting as far as they have through the ordeal would not have been possible without the tireless effort of her husband, Todd.

“My husband, quite frankly, is like Superman right now,” she said. “When I was in the hospital, it was just him running the house all by himself and taking care of a 4-year-old and trying to keep her life as normal as possible.”

View other articles written Kyle Barnett

featured merchant

BENT'S RV Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.

Parish president had 3 different painkillers in blood sample, but no alcohol
Parish president had 3 different painkillers in blood sample, but no alcohol
Three prescription painkillers were found in St. Charles Parish President Larry Cochran's blood samples that were taken from his Sept. 2 arrest for allegedly driving while intoxicated.

Become A Herald-Guide Insider

Get breaking news, sports and lifestyles straight to your inbox