Parish already using plenty of chlorine in water supply
State asks for increase after second deadly amoeba found
The new standards are being implemented after portions of the water system in Desoto Parish tested positive for the presence of a brain-eating amoeba last week. A 4-year-old boy died after contracting the amoeba from St. Bernard Parish’s water supply last month.
After the amoeba, which enters the body through the nose, was found in St. Bernard, St. Charles began taking additional samples from the water supply. Though the state Department of Health and Hospitals recommended that water systems maintain 0.5 milligrams per liter of chlorine, St. Charles Parish already uses more chlorine in their water.
“St. Charles Parish averages between 1.50 to 2.25 milligrams per liter. After our initial review of the new recommendations it does not appear that Waterworks will need to increase the level of chlorine entering the system,” Parish spokeswoman Renee Simpson said. “St. Charles has had a longstanding flushing program that allows the system to maintain adequate chlorine residuals.”
Residual chlorine levels of 0.5 milligrams per liter throughout drinking water distribution lines are key to eliminating biological contaminants such as Naegleria fowleri, the amoeba found to be present in water systems in DeSoto and St. Bernard parishes.
According to the Environmental Protection Agency, the safe level of chlorine allowed in drinking water is 4 milligrams per liter.
Still, the Centers for Disease Control says that residents should avoid allowing water up their nose in order to stay safe from the amoeba. Also, children should not jump into or put their heads under bathing water and should not be allowed to play with hoses or sprinklers unsupervised since water may accidentally squirt up their nose.
Sam Steib is on a mission, and to hear him speak is to believe he will not be...
The Destrehan-Hahnville rivalry always seems to bring the best out of the players...
When Hahnville High School gets to taste Satellite Center student Tyler Becnel's...
A Hahnville man accused of attempting to burn down the apartment duplex he was...
Weeping aloud and clutching a framed photograph of her grandson, Martha Keller...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
St. Charles Parish Teachers of the Year - 1228 views
St. Charles Parish Public School System’s Teachers of the Year were named at a March 9 banquet at Ormond Plantation.