3 children died in holiday blaze that burned down Norco family’s house
On anniversary of the tragedy, fire chief’s safety tips can help keep you & your loved ones safe
Firefighter monitors a “training fire” at a condemned house.
“The fire occured at 11:52 p.m. It was a horrible scene, the mother told us that she had just stepped next door to talk to her sister, and within a matter of a few moments her entire house was on fire. There were two little girls inside the house and one boy,” Lupe told the Herald-Guide.
He notes that the space heater was left in a back bedroom and ignited “something flammable.”
“This was an older wood framed house, without a central heater and the family was just trying to keep warm. I remember the night we responded to the call - it was freezing cold,” says Lupe, who coordinated with Hahnville’s Fire Chief Reggie Gaubert on the call.
Recalls Gaubert: “I remember the night so well because we had to go in and recover the bodies of the children.”
Gaubert tells the Herald-Guide that families should take these precautions when using space heaters:
-Place a space heater on a flat nonflammable surface.
-Never plug a space heater into an extension cord.
-Do not leave children or pets alone when operating a space heater.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Marked by an impressive historical mural telling St. Charles Parish’s history,...
Only the truly skilled, determined and competitive can even aspire to one day be...
Under threat of seeking another attorney general’s opinion on how to recoup...
A truck driver was arrested and charged with a DWI after crashing into three cars...
By Wednesday, more than 500 strikers put down their signs and will start going back...
The United Way of St. Charles’ Bridge Run can expect some new faces this year, but...
The way hardware stores used to and should be is right here in St. Charles. Prompt courteous service from the moment you walk in. Experienced staff eager to assist you find what you need for your next project. Propane refills, U-Haul Rentals available
Dow fights for light at dangerous intersection - 1595 views
How many people have to die or get injured to get a traffic light erected at a dangerous intersection on the highways of Louisiana? It’s a question on the minds of some who travel to work along Louisiana Highway 3127 between Luling and Killona.