3 children died in holiday blaze that burned down Norco family’s house
On anniversary of the tragedy, fire chief’s safety tips can help keep you & your loved ones safe
Firefighter monitors a “training fire” at a condemned house.
“The fire occured at 11:52 p.m. It was a horrible scene, the mother told us that she had just stepped next door to talk to her sister, and within a matter of a few moments her entire house was on fire. There were two little girls inside the house and one boy,” Lupe told the Herald-Guide.
He notes that the space heater was left in a back bedroom and ignited “something flammable.”
“This was an older wood framed house, without a central heater and the family was just trying to keep warm. I remember the night we responded to the call - it was freezing cold,” says Lupe, who coordinated with Hahnville’s Fire Chief Reggie Gaubert on the call.
Recalls Gaubert: “I remember the night so well because we had to go in and recover the bodies of the children.”
Gaubert tells the Herald-Guide that families should take these precautions when using space heaters:
-Place a space heater on a flat nonflammable surface.
-Never plug a space heater into an extension cord.
-Do not leave children or pets alone when operating a space heater.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Three area organizations have set up funds to accept donations for St. Charles...
A Destrehan woman who got into an argument with her ex-boyfriend tried to resolve...
St. Charles Parish school officials are working to persuade voters to pull the...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office is searching for Sidney K. Smith in...
After serving 12 years on the St. Charles Parish Council, Terry Authement has...
The small, orange brick building at 15160 U.S. Hwy. 90 in Paradis, where Dr. Wilson...
The way hardware stores used to and should be is right here in St. Charles. Prompt courteous service from the moment you walk in. Experienced staff eager to assist you find what you need for your next project. Propane refills, U-Haul Rentals available
Corp. Burt Hazeltine identified as Thursday's shooting victim in Paradis - 6394 views
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office has identified Corp. Burt Hazeltine as the shooting victim in an "apparent ambush" in Paradis.