Family survives lethal gas that filled house while they slept
An unsuspecting family in Luling are lucky to be alive after their hot water heater malfunctioned, filling their home with lethal carbon monoxide gas that sent them to the hospital - but could have killed them.
“We almost had a tragedy - that’s for sure,” Hahnville Fire Chief Reginald Gaubert told the Herald-Guide.
“The family’s carbon monoxide sensor sounded an alarm at three in the morning, but they shrugged it off and went back to sleep.
“The alarm sounded again four hours later, at seven in the morning. This time, they called the fire department.”
By the time firefighters arrived at the home, the family showed classic signs of carbon monoxide poisoning. Symptoms included dizziness, headache, fatigue, lethargy and irregular heartbeat.
The situation was so advanced that sensors showed the exterior of the house to be engulfed by the odorless, colorless, invisible gas.
There was so much carbon monoxide inside that the sensors “buried their needles” with the highest possible reading.
A water heater was the source of the carbon monoxide, Gaubert says.
“The gas was coming from an open vent on the top of the water heater,” continues the fire chief“
“Anything with an open flame is a possible source of a carbon monoxide, including a fireplace.
“People need to be aware of this. And if they have carbon monoxide alarms, they should take them seriously.
“This gas truly is a silent killer.”
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald Guide is the complete local news in St. Charles Parish, Louisiana.
Get your local news, sports and information from the Parish's award winning paper.
St. Charles Herald Guide has what you need.
In the still darkness of the morning, three crabbers in a pickup truck arrived at...
The Hahnville Tigers finished with 12 points at the LHSAA State Track and Field...
Most graduating seniors do not come close to scoring a 27 on the ACT test, but...
Little more than a week after officials from 14 parishes took a trip to Washington,...
In the summer of 1973, a baby boy was born to a 14 year-old girl at West Jefferson...
St. Charles Parish plans to go out for construction bids next month on the first...
Home of the Mimosa Monster, Mrs. Snowman is serving up Snowballs, Ice Cream, Po-Boys & More... We are available for your next birthday party or catering event. Open for lunch and dinner, eat in or carry out.
Speed patrols return to I-310 after months-long absence - 1721 views
Over the past four months, those who often travel the elevated portions of I-10 and I-310 in St. Charles Parish have noticed a lack of state troopers on the interstate.