Healthy holiday gifts for people you really love
And you won't have to spend a fortune, either, says the Herald-Guide’s expert - because lots of good-for-you gifts can be had "on the cheap" for under $10.
"Just about everyone these days is trying to get healthy and stay healthy and you can help by choosing a supportive gift they’ll enjoy and appreciate," Dr. Caroline Richardson told the Herald-Guide from her office at .the Department of Family Medicine at the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor.
"Getting a friend or family member a gift that will help them eat healthier or become more active is a wonderful thing to do during the holidays."
Here are the expert's suggestions:
1. Fancy oil and vinegar. High-quality balsamic vinegar and fresh, extra-extra virgin, cold-pressed olive oil are luxurious gifts and you can give both for under $10.
If someone is trying to lose weight or eating a lot of salads as part of a heart-healthy regimen, aged balsamic vinegar and a dash or two of good olive oil can make the difference between a boring salad and a gourmet treat, Richardson says.
2. Sessions with a nutritionist. Lots of people have tried to go low-fat or low-carb, or have ridden the wave of the latest fad diet. But what works for individual people can vary dramatically. A nutritionist can help tailor a diet plan to a person's individual likes and dislikes, and can come up with something the person is more likely to stick to, Richardson says.Check the phone book or ask your doctor for a recommendation.
3. A healthy cooking class. Chef Ed Rhinehart ... and continuing education classes, etc. These classes often are inexpensive.
4. A healthy-eating book. One option, Richardson says, is Eat, Drink, and Be Healthy: The Harvard Medical School Guide to Healthy Eating by Walter C. Willett and P. J. Skerrett. And given the popularity of the book You: On a Diet, it seems some people are already following this advice.
5. A crock pot, rice cooker or steamer. You can get a decent crock pop for $10 or less. These will help the gift recipient prepare food in a healthier way, Richardson notes. Throw in a few recipes for a tasty soup or a meal that includes steamed vegetables.
6. Clothes for winter outdoor sports. "Get someone silk long underwear or furry, soft gloves or a good hat, and they will be more inclined to get outside and exercise," Richardson says. This not only helps with physical health, but also can improve people's mental well-being and reduce "cabin fever."
7. A massage gift certificate. "Relaxation and stress relief are important for overall good health," Richardson notes.
8. A fun exercise class. Is the gift recipient someone who gets bored easily and may have trouble sticking to some types of fitness routines? Try signing him or her up for a fitness or dance class, yoga, tai chi, karate - anything goes, Richardson says.
10. A session with a personal trainer. Do you know someone who can't stay motivated to exercise? A personal trainer is a great way to get people on track with workouts that help them build muscle tone and endurance, Richardson says.
11. A tune-up for a bicycle. That bicycle with the broken chain isn't doing anybody any good rusting away in the garage. Pay for the tune-up of a friend's bike, and throw in an offer to go on some rides with him or her this year.
12. Last but not least, a pedometer. Richardson is a huge fan of pedometers and often gives them to people as presents. Make sure it's a good one; "some pedometers just don't count steps accurately," she says.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Spring is in the air at Hahnville....
When Derwin and Valerie Wilright’s young son became obsessed with the movie, “The...
Many young girls receive gifts like jewelry for their first communion, but Madison...
Imagine belonging to an online chat room on Skype with friends haunted by a...
St. Charles Parish Public Schools made the grade with this year’s ACT composite...
Destrehan hasn’t lost many games over the past two seasons. In fact, the Wildcats...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
Des Allemands mother: ‘I’m glad he’s off the street’ - 3978 views
With this week’s arrest of a New Orleans East man, Jolene Dufrene may have gotten the answers she sought about her daughter’s murder.