Man accused of shooting wife in face could have home incarceration revoked
Left house to register for food stamps
The home where Otto Barrera allegedly shot his wife and himself.
On June 24, 2012 46-year-old Otto Barrera allegedly shot his estranged wife with a 12-gauge shotgun in their Goodhope Street home before turning the weapon on himself. According to court documents, Barrera grabbed a shotgun and ordered his wife to lie on the bed. The couple’s daughter tried to get between her mother and the gun, but she says she was pushed aside by her father.
That’s when she says Barrera fired a shotgun blast into his wife’s face.
After the shooting, the daughter grabbed a friend who was in the living room and fled to a neighbor’s home where she called police.
When police arrived, they heard another gunshot and Barrera came out of the house naked and bleeding from a face wound. He walked out of the front door and collapsed before being taken to the hospital.
Both Barrera and his wife, Catherine, survived the shooting and have undergone several facial reconstruction surgeries. Barrera has been charged with attempted second-degree murder in the case.
Due to his significant injuries, Barrera was released on bond and placed on home incarceration. He was only to leave the home to attend doctor’s appointments and court appearances and was ordered to contact ETOH Monitoring to clear travel beforehand.
ETOH Monitoring sent several letters to Judge Emile St. Pierre detailing instances where Barrera violated those conditions. On Feb. 20, he reportedly left his home from 8:49 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. without informing anyone. ETOH Monitoring said they spoke to Barrera’s daughter, who told the agency that Barrera had gone to the social security administration.
On Feb. 26, Barrera again left his home without notifying anyone, this time from 8:50 a.m. until 2:02 p.m., according to court documents. When contacted by ETOH, Barrera said he had a dentist’s appointment to have a tooth pulled. A few days later, Barrera left his home for nearly six hours, telling the monitoring agency after he returned that he had left to register for food stamps.
The final transgression came on March 20, according to ETOH, when Barrera left his home at 11:48 a.m. and returned at 3:25 p.m. When contacted, Barrera told the agency he had a doctor’s appointment.
On April 30, St. Pierre will decide whether to rescind Barrera’s bond and send him back to jail.
Former Destrehan High School teacher Shelley Dufresne, who pleaded guilty to having...
Without a tax increase, St. Charles Parish Council could be dealing with a...
Hahnville High School-based Otto Candies has made state tournament runs before...
In light of recent police shootings in Baton Rouge and Dallas, as well as a heated...
An Edgard man accused of making threatening comments to police officers through...
Cynthia Creecy and Wanda Blue had more in common than most people can ever imagine....
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
DHS-based ES&H Wildcats show potential in summer play - 1054 views
Under the banner of the ES&H Wildcats, Destrehan's baseball team returned to American Legion play this summer after playing an independent schedule a year ago, wrapping up their season at the Second District tournament earlier this month.