Louisiana ‘fiscal cliff’ redux
The leges feign shock at what they hear.
After all, who knew:
– One-time money spent this year wouldn’t be available to spend next year.
– The feds wouldn’t lessen the state’s Medicaid match.
– The 2.75 percent constitutionally-mandated increase for the MFP would still be the law.
– Young people would still want TOPs scholarships.
– State employees would want a raise.
– Cost of utilities, insurance, goods, services, etc., would rise.
– A dismal economy would affect revenues to the state.
Who could have possibly foreseen the above? Certainly, not the leges who weren’t looking.
The leges will obediently go along with the charade because that is what they have done since Bobby Jindal has been the governor. To do otherwise would require them to actually know what is in the current budget and budget proposal for the next fiscal year. Even worse, it would require the leges to set real spending priorities.
Instead the leges will continue the fiscally-irresponsible practice of using one-time money for recurring expenses, increasing college tuition (taxes by another name) and borrowing money for non-essential capital projects for state and local governments plus various non-governmental entities.
Anyone disagree with the end of the story?
U.S. Sen. Charles Grassley is questioning the FBI and U.S. Department of Justice...
Remembered as a man who "loved his wife and kids more than life," Bayou Gauche...
As the Bayou Gauche community mourns the death of resident Bart Dufrene Jr., who...
Destrehan simply had no answers for Landry-Walker. ...
Christmas will come early in St. Charles Parish when the Norco Christmas Parade...
The generations of Luling families keeping alive what has become the tradition of...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Rotary Club Thanksgiving baskets called a blessing - 902 views
Roy Clements of Montz didn’t expect the Rotary Club of St. Charles’ Thanksgiving basket of food that came to his family’s door last Wednesday, but he was visibly appreciative of getting it.