Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The best defensive safety in NFL history is how six-time Pro Bowl selected Raven’s...
Joseph O. Fisher was finally on his way to following his brother into the U.S....
Viewing the Girl Scouts as a safe environment to meet, pay and learn, the Rev....
Saying “someone tipped them off,” a New Orleans watchdog group says it obtained...
Tigers, Wildcats place 20 on All-District Team...
Lady Tigers, Wildcats place 12 on
All-District 1st Team, 2 on 2nd Team...
When you visit Dr. Joshua C. Patella and his team at Patella Dental, you are our top priority. Our entire general dentistry team is dedicated to providing you with the personalized, gentle care that you deserve. We believe that teeth should look and feel
St. Charles Parish DA denies preferential treatment for Dufresne - 3979 views
Saying “someone tipped them off,” a New Orleans watchdog group says it obtained courts documents showing St. Charles Parish District Attorney Joel Chaisson II may have violated the law showing preferential treatment to a former Destrehan High School teacher who accepted a plea deal that allowed her to avoid prison and not register as a sex offender.