Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
It was hard enough for Jimmy Stuard to deal with a diagnosis of colon cancer...
With school systems facing the prospect of potentially significant budget cuts on...
All of the ongoing renovations and upgrades to Rathborne Park aren't quite...
Richard Randolph, a Luling sex offender who was at one point listed by the U.S....
Derrick Scott and Kelsey Gwyn Neff were told to prepare for the possibility their...
Stepping on the front yard of Unit 201, Sabrina Ratcliff Lewis immediately recalled...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Harry Hurst teacher named LWF Educator of the Year - 2867 views
Recognized as an educator who inspires students toward conservation and the environment, Harry Hurst Middle School teacher Barry Guillot has received the Louisiana Wildlife Federation’s Educator of the Year award.