Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Roxanne Wilbon beamed as her son, Gerald, donned a University of Texas hat and made...
Resurfacing the Hale Boggs Memorial Bridge deck isn’t just a $24.5 million upgrade,...
J.D. Bankston was among the Luling Volunteer Fire Department’s first volunteers who...
An attempted traffic stop by Louisiana State Police on I-310 turned into a police...
Those who volunteer with the St. Charles United Methodist Church Food Pantry in...
The Des Allemands man accused of stealing more than $12,000 from the 2014 Louisiana...
Bent's RV is a Full Service RV Dealership in Louisiana.
Police chase causes school lock down - 4080 views
An attempted traffic stop by Louisiana State Police on I-310 turned into a police chase and school lockdown at about 10:43 a.m. today (Feb. 4).