Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
Dealing with a budget crunch, the St. Charles Parish Public Defender’s Office has...
With a fast flick of his hand, Whitney Curole sent a large blue crab sailing into a...
It was the ultimate example of mixed emotions for Martin Sylvain. ...
When the Krewe of Lul decided to bring back its Mardi Gras ball this year to...
Marking its 40th year of revelry in Luling, the Krewe of Lul will roll with 62...
For the 62nd year, the Krewe of Des Allemands is set to roll Sunday (Feb. 26)...
Over 25 Years of Quality Sales, Service and Repairs on YAMAHA, MERCURY, EVINRUDE and JOHNSON Motors.
Trapper John the Hog Man claimed he ate a coyote, but it was a jab at critics - 994 views
“They’re delicious,” an angry Trapper John the Hog Man said of claiming he recently ate a coyote.