Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Pastor Don Logan, of Boutte, was coming back from a meeting in Alexandria when the...
Two of Luling’s newest firefighters weren’t even done with their basic training...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office is looking for a man who allegedly beat a...
Beginning April 1, St. Charles Parish Hospital will ban smoking throughout the...
Like just about every high school sports team, the Destrehan girls basketball team...
To take control of one's life requires courage. Ms.Lucia specializes in depression, stress and anxiety disorders, parent-child relationships, and marital issues. Taking the first step is often the most difficult.
St. Charles EMS to add third ambulance shift - 1227 views
A new $230,000 ambulance, due in mid March, should help alleviate service calls for the St. Charles Parish EMS at peak times.