Are YOU average? Read our story and find out
St. Charles Parish by the numbers
1. 34 years old.
3. Share your house with two other people.
4. Earn an annual income of $41,000 if you are a man or - are you ready for this? - $25,000 if you are a woman.
That information comes from no less a source than the U.S. Census Bureau, which paints a statistical picture of our community using the latest-available figures that might surprise you.
Here's the breakdown:
- There are 48,072 people living in 16,411 households in St. Charles Parish. That's three people per house.
- 43 percent of households - about 7,100 - include children under the age of 18.
- 14 percent of households - about 2,300 - are headed up by single women.
- 20 percent of households - about 3,300 - include two or more people who aren't related or married.
- The racial makeup of the parish is 71 percent white ... 25 percent African American ... and 3 percent Hispanic. Native Americans, Asians, Other races make up 1 percent of the total.
- Of the 13,088 families living in the parish, 9.3 percent - about 1,300 - are below the poverty line. The numbers include 2,400 children and 480 senior citizens who, by definition, have no discretionary income, maning that spare change to buy non-essential "luxuries" like a newspaper or a soft drink.
- 30.30% of people - about 14,600 - are under the age of 18.
- 8.30% - about 600 - are ages 18 to 24.
- 31.40% - about 16,500 - are 25 to 44.
- 21.00% - about 10,000 - are 45 to 64.
- 9.00% - about 4,300 - are 65 years of age or older.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Ever since new Hahnville football coach Nick Saltaformaggio took over the program...
Opinions vary on whether Parish President V.J. St. Pierre’s administration must...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office is still looking for the body of a man who...
St. Charles Parish experienced the only decline in home prices in the New Orleans...
New laws targeting motorists have taken effect, including a ban on using cell...
The body of a man who is believed to have jumped off the Hale Boggs Bridge in...
If Extra Cash is what you need to help meet expenses, come right in or call. We'll be glad to serve you promptly!
Housing director resigns after audit cites mismanagement - 826 views
The director of the St. Charles Parish Housing Authority has stepped down on the heels of federal and state audits that slammed the agency for mismanagement and requested repayment of more than $600,000.