Know the score before puchasing “daily deals”
"These sites provide the opportunity to try new businesses at a discounted price," said LSU AgCenter family economist Jeanette Tucker. "However, shoppers need to be sure they read the fine print on their deals and understand the sites’ terms of service agreements to avoid complications when they redeem their deal vouchers."
The following tips from USA.gov will help consumers better understand the sites, shop safely and enjoy the deals they purchase:
• Check the expiration and black-out dates. Some of the popular vacation deals can only be redeemed during certain times of the year.
• Do your research. Spend five or 10 minutes reading reviews.
• Understand how you can use the deal. Some deals you can use more than once until the entire amount of the deal is gone, but other coupons you have to use all at once.
• Read the conditions of your specific deal before you buy. If you’ve read the fine print but still don’t understand everything, ask questions before you buy. Many of the daily deal sites have a frequently asked questions section.
• Verify which locations accept your voucher. Some deals for chains are only valid at certain stores.
• Know when your credit card will be charged.
• Check the site’s refund policy. Make sure you understand and are comfortable with a site’s refund rules before you make a purchase.
• Know whom to contact with problems. In most cases, the daily deal sites can’t help you solve problems with the company you bought the deal from. You will need to work with the company directly. If you have an issue, stay calm and state exactly what happened and how you would like the situation to be resolved.
For additional information on online shopping and daily deal sites, visit www.onguardonline.gov, the federal government’s website to help you be safe, secure and responsible when shopping online.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The flu vaccine may not be as effective against this season’s most dominant strain...
The St. Charles Parish Toy Drive delivered a day of games, food, toys and plenty of...
The Destrehan Lady Cats throttled H.L. Bourgeois and knocked off East St. John to...
Police have released surveillance footage of a vehicle sought in connection with a...
Donated toys and clothes are pouring in for a Montz family whose home was destroyed...
Destrehan’s football season came to an end Saturday night with a 23-7 loss to...
Dealership Service without Dealership Prices. We service all domestic & foreign cars, trucks & SUV's. We are certified by ASE, ICAR and AAA for your peace of mind.
Turnovers plague Destrehan championship loss - 900 views
The Destrehan Wildcats fell 23-7 to the Acadiana Rams Friday (Dec. 13) in the Louisiana High School Athletic Association’s Class 5A football championship at the Mercedez-Benz Superdome.