Know the score before puchasing “daily deals”
"These sites provide the opportunity to try new businesses at a discounted price," said LSU AgCenter family economist Jeanette Tucker. "However, shoppers need to be sure they read the fine print on their deals and understand the sites’ terms of service agreements to avoid complications when they redeem their deal vouchers."
The following tips from USA.gov will help consumers better understand the sites, shop safely and enjoy the deals they purchase:
• Check the expiration and black-out dates. Some of the popular vacation deals can only be redeemed during certain times of the year.
• Do your research. Spend five or 10 minutes reading reviews.
• Understand how you can use the deal. Some deals you can use more than once until the entire amount of the deal is gone, but other coupons you have to use all at once.
• Read the conditions of your specific deal before you buy. If you’ve read the fine print but still don’t understand everything, ask questions before you buy. Many of the daily deal sites have a frequently asked questions section.
• Verify which locations accept your voucher. Some deals for chains are only valid at certain stores.
• Know when your credit card will be charged.
• Check the site’s refund policy. Make sure you understand and are comfortable with a site’s refund rules before you make a purchase.
• Know whom to contact with problems. In most cases, the daily deal sites can’t help you solve problems with the company you bought the deal from. You will need to work with the company directly. If you have an issue, stay calm and state exactly what happened and how you would like the situation to be resolved.
For additional information on online shopping and daily deal sites, visit www.onguardonline.gov, the federal government’s website to help you be safe, secure and responsible when shopping online.
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
Two of Luling’s newest firefighters weren’t even done with their basic training...
Beginning April 1, St. Charles Parish Hospital will ban smoking throughout the...
Pastor Don Logan, of Boutte, was coming back from a meeting in Alexandria when the...
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office is looking for a man who allegedly beat a...
Like just about every high school sports team, the Destrehan girls basketball team...
Today's Car Care is the name people trust when it comes to outstanding tires and automotive service in the River Region and beyond.
Man charged with aggravated rape of 12-year-old girl - 1333 views
A 28-year-old man was arrested after he was accused of having sex with a 12-year-old girl almost three years ago.
The man’s name is being withheld to protect the identity of the victim.