Recipe: Spiced holiday sugar cookies
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 8 to 10 minutes per batch
Refrigerate: 2 hours
2 1/3 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 ups granulated sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Colorful Cookie Icing:
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
3 to 4 teaspoons milk
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 to 4 drops assorted food colors and egg dye
1. Mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Beat granulated sugar and butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; mix well. Gradually beat in flour mixture on low speed until well mixed. Refrigerate dough 2 hours or overnight until firm.
2. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Place on greased baking sheets.
3. Bake in preheated 375F oven 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Remove to wire racks; cool completely.
4. For the icing, mix all ingredients except food colors. (Stir in additional milk as needed to thin icing or more confectioners’ sugar to thicken, if needed.) Place small amount of icing into small shallow bowls, using one bowl for each color desired. Stir drops of food coloring into icing until desired shade is reached.
5. To ice cookies, hold cookie by its edge and dip top of cookie into icing. (Or spoon icing onto cookie using a teaspoon.) Place iced cookies on wire rack set over foil-covered baking sheet to dry. (The foil-covered baking sheet will catch drips.) To add decorative details to cookies, spoon tinted icing into resealable plastic bag. Snip off tiny piece of corner. Squeeze icing through hole in plastic bag to decorate cookies. If desired, colored sugar may be sprinkled onto freshly iced cookies.
Makes 6 dozen or 24 (3 cookie) servings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving:
184 Calories, 8g Fat, 26g Carbohydrates, 29mg Cholesterol, 137mg Sodium, 0g Fiber, 2g Protein.
Also try these simple tips for making holiday cookies extra-special:
• Fantastic Flavor Combinations
Certain flavor match-ups are real winners around the holidays. Cinnamon and ginger are comforting holiday classics, while a splash of peppermint extract adds a surprising hint of refreshment.
• Dress it Up
Spruce up versatile, go-to recipes like Spiced Holiday Sugar Cookies with seasonal flavors and creative decorations. Add a hint of almond extract to deepen the flavor, or play with festive cookie cutters and colorful frosting.
• Gift It
In a mason jar, combine pre-measured spices, seasonings and other dry ingredients for a homemade "cookie mix." With a strip of ribbon, attach a recipe card with baking and decorating tips.
To capture the magic of holiday cookie-baking virtually, McCormick is helping bakers share their own delicious gifts from the heart in "The Big Cookie Share" at www.Facebook.com/McCormickSpice.
After choosing a signature cookie recipe and customizing it with their own flavor twists, McCormick fans will receive an e-cookie to share with Facebook friends – complete with a frosted holiday message – and the accompanying recipe to bake up a batch at home.
(Courtesy of Family Features)
Subscribe Today and Save!!!
St. Charles Herald-Guide is an award-winning newspaper that covers all aspects of St. Charles Parish - from schools and parish government news to social events, features on our local residents and sports.
Order your subscription today!
The St. Charles Parish Sheriff’s Office arrested and charged a Boutte woman with...
Emily Charles, 21, had begun to drive herself and five longtime friends from a...
Most nonprofits would, in a perfect world, want to pay their volunteers. But for...
When Hahnville wrestler Kendrick Jones won the LHSAA Division I state championship...
The St. Charles Herald-Guide announces the hiring of reporters Anna Thibodeaux and...
A Killona man faces felony animal cruelty charges after the St. Charles Parish...
Boutte Christian Academy (BCA) is a childcare and educational ministry of Life Church in Boutte. BCA was founded in 1980 as a Mother's Day Out Program and has grown over the years into a Class "A" Child Care Center and a State-Approved School
548 Norco Manufacturing Complex workers join nationwide USW strike - 1582 views
Local union workers at Shell and Motiva refineries in Norco went on strike after negotiations with the petrochemical giant broke down last Saturday, joining the first nationwide oil refinery strike in more than 30 years.